I used to believe that the most important things were the labels we put on ourselves. All that mattered were what bands you were into, what books were on your bookshelf, and what your life motto was.
Those things defined us. Decided our compatibility with one another.
These self-designed book covers are how others judge us, and half the battle is discovering how true these things actually are. Like, do I really like that band American Analog Set, or am I just claiming that because so-and-so likes them and I want that person to like me—nay, respect me.
Do I really believe Kafka’s Metamorphosis is great, or am I just telling people that so I look smart?
It’s like hipsters saying, “Hey! Check out my diverse Indy CD collection! I’m better than you.”
Alas, I was never cool enough to have a record player and a box of old vinyls.
I guess what I’m getting at is when those old songs on my playlist don’t feel right anymore, I find myself evaluating my “book cover”.
So after some evaluation, Ive created a list of badges I wear because they feel good, even if they might not look very cool.
So here are some things that make my brain light up, and things that don’t.
- Authors: Isaac Marion, Chuck Palahniuk, Erin Morgenstern, Ally Condie, Gillian Flynn, Jeffrey Eugenides, Stephenie Meyer, J.K. Rowling, Flannery O’Connor, and Suzanne Collins.
- Books I’ve abandoned without finishing : Haunted, Ismael, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, The Casual Vacancy, Angelfall, The Poisonwood Bible, The Giver
- Bands I currently like: Toy Guitar, the Hives, Silversin Pickups, Masked Intruder, Riverboat Gamblers, Against Me!, Grouplove, Brick and Mortar, The XX
- Bands I used to love but can barely stand to hear anymore: Radiohead, Elliott Smith, Coldplay, Portishead, The Beta Band
- Bands I used to think I liked (wanted to like) but in actuality probably never really did: Mates of State, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
- Bands I’ve been told I should love but I can’t stand: Sonic Youth, The Smiths, The Rolling Stones
- Favorite TV Shows: Dexter, Six Feet Under, Dead Like Me, The Joe Schmo Show (Season 1 only- Season 2 was terrible, terrible, terrible!), Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Walking Dead, American Horror Story, Orphan Black, Band of Brothers (sooooo good!), House of Cards, Being Human, Orange is the New Black, Fargo, Face Off, Humans, and Homeland, Bates Motel, Silicon Valley, The Americans.
- Other favorite things: Horror and macabre/creepy chic things, the 40s era, and the atomic era (Midcentury mod).
So that’s my current “book cover”. For now. Judge away. 🙂
To see the rest of my blog, click here.